SIMSBURY FLY-IN AND CAR SHOW
The 29th annual Simsbury Fly-In and Car Show was held on Sunday, September 14th from 8 AM to 3 PM. It was a great event, continuing to be the largest of its kind in New England. We featured 700 great airplanes and cars of virtually every type and vintage, plus over 100 activities, exhibitors, sponsors and advertisers to interest the entire family. We are like a very special kind of country fair, with special emphasis on airplanes and cars. Yes, dogs are welcome, and we even provide them a watering station. For some great photos of the 2014 event, courtesy of the Hartford Courant, click here. The photos on the left margins are courtesy of Phil Worley and the Simsbury Camera Club. There's a great story and photos about our event at http://photorecon.net/simsbury-airport-opens-its-doors/
This year's special features included:
- Colchester Continentals Fife and Drum Corps narrated demonstration
- Biplane rides
- Radio Control Model Airplane Flying Demonstration
- Battle of the antique engines by NE Air Museum and Owls Head Museum
- Gyrocopter and powered parachute flights
- Live music by the Jolly Beggars Irish band
- Yankee Clippers Formation Flying Team
- Ben and Jerry's and many other specialty food vendors
- 50 New Cars (click here for info) and Airplanes on display by their dealers
- LifeStar Medivac Helicopter on display - Come meet the crew
- Kids' activities - Kiddeland, face painting, and more
- Local artisans with fun products from T-shirts to toys to craft items
- Free seminars (click here for info)
- Delicious pancake breakfast and lunch at reasonable prices
Our venue is Simsbury Airport, and is designed so you can see our airplanes and cars up close and talk with their proud owners. Our airplanes range from antiques dating back to the 1920's, to homebuilts, helicopters, small former military aircraft, and brand new models on display by dealers. The Car Show portion of our event features old autos, brand new exotic vehicles, hot rods, muscle cars, ex-military vehicles, and new cars of almost every make. Airplane and car owners are urged to display their vehicles for judging, and we award trophies in many categories.
There is no entry fee, but your donation is appreciated. Nearby parking is available at $10, with proceeds helping to benefit the Boy Scouts. Handicapped parking and restrooms are available.
We are the Simsbury Flying Club, and proceeds from this event help keep our airport in operation. As a non-profit, all-volunteer group, we receive no funding from any governmental agency. Special thanks for assistance by Porter and Chester Institute for our Car Show, to Chapter 324 of the Experimental Aircraft Association, and to our many Event Sponsors.
We are already planning for our 30th anniversary event, scheduled for Sept 20, 2015. Watch this space: we'll update it as we line up activities. Meanwhile, we have left our 2014 information here so you can get a flavor of what our event is like. The links in the left margin lead to info on specific topics. Please join us next year at this great family event.