SIMSBURY FLY-IN AND CAR SHOW
The 30th anniversary Simsbury Fly-In and Car Show was held on Sunday, September 20 from 8 AM to 3 PM. The weather was beautiful and many thousands of spectators enjoyed the show. The info on this website describes our 2015 event, and will be updated for 2016 when plans are finalized.
We are the largest of its kind in New England. We feature 700+ great airplanes and cars of virtually every type and vintage, plus over 100 activities, exhibitors, sponsors and advertisers to interest the entire family. We are like a very special kind of country fair, with special emphasis on airplanes and cars. Yes, dogs are welcome, and we even provide them a watering station. For some great photos of our show, courtesy of the Hartford Courant, click here. The photos on the right margins are courtesy of Phil Worley and the Simsbury Camera Club. There's also a great story and photos about our event at http://photorecon.net/simsbury-airport-opens-its-doors/, and video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdpuECOUrks&feature=youtu.be courtesy of Kurt Grashaw. Our 2015 event featured:
- Radio Control Model Airplane Flying Demonstration
- Aerial Banner Tow Pickup and Dropoff
- Yankee Clippers Formation Flying Team
- Waco Biplane Rides
- Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome Aircraft
- LifeStar Medivac Helicopter on display - Come meet the crew
- Live music by The Jolly Beggars and Organized Chaos
- Ben and Jerry's and many other specialty food vendors
- New Cars and Airplanes on display by their dealers
- Kids' activities - Kiddeland, face painting, and more
- Local artisans with fun products from T-shirts to toys to craft items
- Judging and Trophies for cars and airplanes
- Free seminars (click here for info)
- Delicious pancake breakfast and lunch at reasonable prices
Our venue is Simsbury Airport, and is designed so you can see our airplanes and cars up close and talk with their proud owners. Our airplanes range from antiques dating back to the 1920's, to homebuilts, helicopters, small former military aircraft, and brand new models on display by dealers. The Car Show portion of our event features old autos, brand new exotic vehicles, hot rods, muscle cars, ex-military vehicles, and new cars of almost every make. Airplane and car owners are urged to display their vehicles for judging, and we award trophies in many categories.
There is no entry fee, but your donation is appreciated. Nearby parking is available at $10, with proceeds helping to benefit the Boy Scouts. Handicapped parking and restrooms are available.
We are the Simsbury Flying Club, and proceeds from this event help keep our airport in operation. As a non-profit, all-volunteer group, we receive no funding from any governmental agency. Special thanks for assistance by Porter and Chester Institute for our Car Show, to Chapter 324 of the Experimental Aircraft Association, and to our many Event Sponsors.
Our 2016 show will be held on Sunday, Sept. 4. Hope to see you then.